Monday, September 13, 2010

Cairo in little soundbytes

"Egyptians aren't terrorists.  They're just careless."
              - Dr. Ahmad

Helen: "Did you see those shacks by the Nile?  I think there were people living there."
Marisa: "At least they have a nice view!"

"I'll sniff anyone's nipples if I want to.  Just because it's Egypt doesn't mean I have to stop sniffing people's nipples."
"You nipplesniffer."
"I just can't resist your Omani perfume."

Crossing the street in Cairo is seriously dangerous.  It took us over 10 minutes to cross a seven lane road.  We made it across 5 lanes, screaming and running.  Then we were stuck on the divider strip for a while before we could cross the other two lanes.  The thing is, cars don't stop.  Running in terror or walking confidently, it doesn't matter - the cars DO NOT stop.  Ever.  We've all been hovering and then bolting at every street corner, but Egyptians just stroll nonchalantly into 6 lanes of oncoming traffic.  So what we've learned is that "Walk like an Egyptian" really has nothing to do with dancing.  It's all about having the balls to walk straight in front of a moving car while carrying groceries and holding your toddler's hand.

"Allo!  I love America!  You are so very beautiful!"
       - Every Egyptian male, from age 7 to 50.  
I swear, the first man who gets an aspirated "h" before his "allo" gets my hand in marriage.


And my favorite, 
"Salaam out, guys."  




   




No comments:

Post a Comment