Sunday, December 12, 2010

With a hey ho, the wind and the rain

Just got back from a five day idyllic Nile cruise that reminded me of all the reasons why I came here, of everything I hoped to find in Egypt, and dazzled my eyes with wonders.

In 6 days, I will be done with my first semester in Egypt, and I'll begin traveling on my own and with friends, hopefully through Lebanon, Turkey, Greece, Palestine, and maybe England or France.  After that, it'll be Ireland to see my parents, where I hope to be cuddled and cared for until I explode.

But right now, winter has come to Alexandria.  It's raining, it's hailing, the sky is dark blue black grey, the wind is throwing the city into the sea as the sea rushes right into the city, and all the elements are screaming through the cracks in my windows, flooding my hardwood floors and cracking the paint on my walls.  The extremity, the might of the weather here is like nothing I have ever known.

Click here for a video a friend sent me of the Corniche of Alexandria overcome by the weather.

I will post about my cruise soon,  I promise - I have over 500 pictures to sort through, and five action packed days to summarize, and in the next 4 days I have a paper, a presentation and 4 exams to get through, so it may take a little bit.

But right now, I'm going to cuddle up with my roommates and watch some movies, order in some soup from our local cafe, read the storm scenes from King Lear, and as always, balance between the thrill and the terror that is life in Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment