Thursday, April 28, 2011

Holidays

In Khalil Gibran's garden, in Becharre, the Qadisha Valley, in North Lebanon.
I went for a weekend with friends, to clear our heads and enjoy our vacation.  
The area was very Christian, and we were there on Good Friday and Holy Saturday.  And Earth Day! 
We hiked from the top of the valley to the bottom, then back up.  We must have a seen a dozen waterfalls.   We drank hot chocolate under the covers in our cozy hostel.  We wandered in an olive tree orchard and overlooking the trees for a hommos break.  We saw an ancient monastery at the bottom of the valley where the Maronite Christian order was founded.  Fresh air, fresh thoughts.  A lovely holiday.

And today is my birthday!  Twenty one today!   I'm wearing red lipstick, met my friend for a breakfast bloody mary and a delicious omelette at my favorite restaurant, and I'm watching the rain pour into the Mediterranean from inside the library (where I'll be all day working on homework and a paper).  I'm older than Elizabeth Bennet.  This weekend, you'll find me at the beach with my best girls, and kicking around Beirut in my new shoes.

What a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment